Wondering how to download HBO Max on Xbox in Canada?
The popular streaming website HBO Max supports various devices, including Xbox.
But since HBO Max is geo-restricted and available for US residents because of copyright issues, you cannot stream HBO Max directly in Canada.
Don’t fret! I know a few alternative options that can help you.
While living in Canada, accessing this streaming platform will give you a geo-location error message.
Therefore, you will have to use a VPN or Virtual Private Network to hoax HBO Max location trackers to bypass geo-blocking.
There are a few ways in which you can use a VPN to download HBO Max on Xbox. Stick around to get to know the complete details. So without further ado, let’s tap into it!
How to Download HBO Max on Xbox in Canada?
Note: HBO Max is available on Xbox One and Xbox Series X and S. So if you have a previous Xbox model, you can’t watch HBO Max even after following the mentioned below steps.
You first have to connect your Xbox to the VPN, but the problem here is that an Xbox does not support the VPN app directly.
Therefore, you will have to follow additional steps to link Xbox and VPN. Here are the following ways to download HBO Max on Xbox:
- Link Xbox and VPN via PC/Laptop to Download HBO Max
- Set Up Smart DNS on Xbox to Download HBO Max
For all the mentioned below methods, I used ExpressVPN, because of its blazing fast servers, excellent geo-blocking capabilities, outstanding live chat support and 30-day money-back guarantee.
Link Xbox and VPN Via PC/Laptop to Download HBO Max (Method 1)
For Mac Users:
- Use an Ethernet cable to connect Mac to the Internet.
- Head over to System Preferences.
- Press Sharing.
- Tap Internet Sharing
- Under the “Share Your Connection From,” select VPN. Make sure to select USA server.
- Now under “In To Computer Using,” checkmark Wi-Fi.
- Create your network name and password.
- Set your channel as Default.
- Set its Security as WPA2 Personal.
- Press OK.
- Next, enable “Internet Sharing.”
- Switch on your Wi-Fi Network.
- Press Start.
- Now, visit Xbox Settings.
- Click to join the Wi-Fi Network you created.
For Windows 10 and 11 Users:
Your device must be wireless to connect Windows 10 PC to your Xbox properly.
- Click the Windows button on the computer.
- Enter “cmd” (command).
- Right-click “Result List Entry Command” prompt.
- Select “Run As An Administrator.”
- Enter “netsh WLAN show drivers” in the prompt window.
- Click Enter.
- Get your Xbox to the same network as your computer and connect the computer to the VPN.
- That’s it! Your Xbox is connected to the VPN, and it will encrypt your private data and IP address.
Set Up Smart DNS on Xbox to Download HBO Max (Method 2)
- Download and subscribe to a VPN – I highly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Visit the ExpressVPN DNS settings page and sign in.
- Type in the verification code sent to your inbox.
- Press “Register my IP address. If it’s done, you do not have to do it again.
- Enable Automatically register my IP address.
- Now, visit the ExpressVPN setup page and sign in.
- A different verification code is sent to your email, so enter it.
- Go to the My Subscription tab and press Set Up ExpressVPN
- Scroll below and checkmark Xbox.
- The screen will display the MediaStreamer DNS server IP address and keep this window open.
- Now fire up your Xbox and go to its Settings.
- Scroll to the General tab and press Network Settings.
- Click Advanced Settings.
- Then, click DNS settings.
- Enter the IP address from the window you were told to keep open.
- Press Continue.
- Once the setup is complete, your screen will display “It’s all good.”
How to Install HBO Max on Xbox?
- After connecting VPN to the Xbox, choose My Games and Apps on your Xbox.
- From the left menu, press Apps and open its App Store or Microsoft Store.
- Click on the magnifying glass to look for HBO Max.
- Now, to download and install, press its “Install” button.
- Once the installation is complete, click to open the HBO Max application.
- Sign in or sign up for HBO Max to stream its content catalog.
Can I Download HBO Max on Other Devices?
Yes, besides Xbox, you can also download and watch HBO Max on the following devices in Canada:
- iPhone/iPad (iOS 12.2 or later)
- Android smartphones and tablets.
- Apple TV
- Amazon Firestick/Fire TV
- PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5
- LG Smart TV
- Samsung Smart TV
- Vizio Smart TV (2016 or later)
Why is ExpressVPN the Best to Stream HBO Max on Xbox?
The reason I recommend ExpressVPN is that it helps to bypass the toughest geo-restricted services like HBO Max.
Invasion is not a problem for this VPN service, and that’s what I like about it! It has a massive server bank of 3000+ servers in 90+ regions, helping you unblock any geo-restricted website worldwide.
ExpressVPN not only offers convenience but is highly safe and secure to use. It has top-tier security protocols that make it possible for all the safety measures to work effectively.
In addition, it keeps you anonymous, deletes your activity log, and anonymizes your data and identity.
ExpressVPN is compatible with several devices like streaming devices, gaming consoles, browser extensions, etc.
It also offers five simultaneous connections per account and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
FAQs – HBO Max on Xbox
Can I watch HBO Max on Xbox in 4K?
If you have Xbox One, the answer might be “No.” However, if you own Xbox One S, Xbox One X, or Xbox Series X|S consoles, you can watch HBO Max in 4K.
Which Xbox consoles does HBO Max support?
The following models are as follows:
- Xbox Series X
- Xbox Series S
- Xbox One S
- Xbox One X
- Xbox One
I hope you find the guide, “How to Watch HBO Max on Xbox in Canada,” straightforward.
There are many ways in which you can connect HBO Max to your VPN; however, make sure that you opt for the top-notch one like ExpressVPN. Otherwise, you will be disappointed and face many issues trespassing HBO Max.