Looking for a way to download HBO Max on Roku in Canada?
As the time passes, Canadians can sign up and watch HBO Max in Canada.
However, when it comes to download HBO Max on Roku, it gets a little tricky due to geo-blocking and content licensing issues.
But don’t worry because I break down the instructions into easy steps to download the HBO Max app on Roku in Canada.
So without any further delay, let’s dive in.
How to Watch HBO Max on Roku in Canada | Quick Steps
To get HBO Max in Canada on Roku, you need the following things:
- A reliable VPN that supports Roku
- US Roku account
- Set Up VPN on Roku to Watch HBO Max
We tested the best VPNs recommended by most reputable websites like TechRadar, TechCrunch, Tom’s Guide, Comparitech, and PC Mag to find the best VPN to get HBO Max on Roku in Canada. And after testing, we find ExpressVPN and PrivateVPN the best among all due to its exceptional support for Roku devices through virtual router set up, smart DNS or direct router set up.
Once you subscribe to a VPN, it’s time to create a US Roku account.
How to Set Up a US Roku Account and in Canada?
Here’s how you can set up a US Roku Account in Canada:
- Download a VPN app on your Desktop/PC and connect to US server – We used ExpressVPN.
- Now make sure your location is off.
- Open the browser and head to https://my.roku.com/index and click on ‘Create account’.
- Provide all the required information and click “Continue.”
- Now select your desired payment option (i.e. PayPal or Credit Card) and click “Continue.”
- The website will ask you to enter a US zip code. You can always search the internet for US zip codes that seem like 90001,02110, and 43003.
- Congratulations, your US Roku account is set up now.
- Now reset your Roku device and log in with your US Roku account.
- Search for HBO Max and click add channel.
Once you set up a US Roku account and add HBO Max channel, let’s see how to connect your Roku TV with VPN to watch in Canada.
Set Up VPN on Roku in Canada to Watch HBO Max
Luckily, there are three ways to set up VPN on a Roku device:
- Set up a Virtual Router using your PC/Laptop and connect with Roku – Recommended
- Set up VPN on your home router and connect with Roku.
- Use Smart DNS to use VPN with Roku. (No longer work with Roku devices).
How to Set Up VPN to Watch HBO Max in Canada on Roku via Virtual Router?
Here’s how to set up a VPN to watch HBO Max in Canada on Roku via virtual router using your Windows laptop/PC:
- Download the VPN app on your Windows laptop/PC – We used ExpressVPN.
- Now click on the internet connection icon located in the task bar and then click on “Open Network & Internet Settings.”
- Click on “Mobile Hotspot” option located on the left side and turn it on.
- Now click on “Status” and then “Change adaptor options.”
- Right click on “ExpressVPN Tap Adaptor” and then click on “Properties”.
- Check the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” on the Sharing tab.
- Now select the hotspot connection that you just created from the dropdown menu and click “OK”.
- Your hotspot connection is created.
- Now open the VPN app on your Windows Laptop/PC and connect to the US server.
- Open your Roku device, go to “Network” → “Set up connection” → “Wireless”.
- Now select the Hotspot connection you just created using your Windows device.
- Once your device is connected to the internet, go to HBO Max channel and start streaming in Canada.
Unfortunately, ExpressVPN and NordVPN no longer offer PPTP & L2TP – IP Sec protocol due to weak security that is required to set up virtual router. You can try PrivateVPN to set up a virtual router on your Mac to watch HBO Max on Roku in Canada.
Here’s how to set up a VPN to watch HBO Max in Canada on Roku via virtual router using your Mac laptop/PC:
- Download the VPN app on your Mac device – We used PrivateVPN.
- Now head to PrivateVPN website and click on “My Account” located at the top menu.
- Enter your email and password that you used to subscribe for PrivateVPN and then click on “Sign in”.
- Now click on “Manual Config” then select “PPTP & L2TP – IPsec”
- You will see username and password and server locations.
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click VPN in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
- Now click on “Add VPN Configuration” and select “L2TP over IPsec”.
- Enter the following information:
- Display Name: PrivateVPN Virtual Router
- Configuration: Default
- Server Address: return to the PrivateVPN website and copy any US server address and paste it.
- Account Name: copy the username from the PrivateVPN website and paste it.
- User Authentication: copy the password from the PrivateVPN website and paste it.
- Shared Secret: 12345678
- Now click on the “Option” and turn on the box that says “Send all traffic over VPN connection.”
- Click on the “Create” button.
- Now connect to the VPN connection that you just created with your Roku device.
- Sign Up with your US Roku account and watch HBO Max on Roku in Canada.
How to Set Up VPN on Home Router to Watch HBO Max on Roku in Canada?
For this whole process, we have used ExpressVPN. If you have an Asus, Linksys, or Netgear, you can use the following guides to install ExpressVPN on your home router to get HBO Max on Roku in Canada:
For Linksys Routers:
For Asus Routers:
For Netgear Routers:
For Manual Router Configuration:
Can I Download the HBO Max on Other Devices in Canada?
Yes, besides Roku, you can also download the HBO Max app on the following devices:
- Android smartphones and tablets
- Amazon Firestick/Fire TV
- Samsung Smart TV
- LG Smart TV
- Vizio Smart TV (2016 or Later)
- PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5
- Xbox X and Xbox Series S|X
- Apple TV
Which Roku Devices Support and Do Not Support HBO Max?
The Roku devices are as follows:
HBO Max Supported Roku Devices
- Roku (1, 2, 3, and 4)
- Roku Express+
- Roku Express
- Roku LT (2700X)
- 4K Roku Smart Speaker
- Roku TV
- 4K Roku Ultra LT
- 4K Roku Ultra
- 4K Roku Premiere+
- 4K Roku Premiere
- 4K Roku Streaming Stick+
- Roku Streaming Stick
HBO Max Unsupported Roku Devices
- Roku LT model 2400X and 2450X
- Roku 2 XS model 3100X
- Roku HD model 2500X
- Roku 2 HD models 3000X and 3050X
- Roku Streaming Stick models 3400X and 3420X
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
What are the troubleshooting tips if HBO Max is not working on Roku?
If HBO Max is not working on the Roku device, it might be due to these reasons:
- The Roku device is outdated and no longer supports HBO Max.
- You have to reinstall the software.
- Or restart the device.
What is the HBO Max monthly cost in Canada?
The HBO Max monthly cost is around 18.90 CAD in Canada.
How should I cancel HBO Max on my Roku account?
The process is simple; you only have to do the following:
- Go to HBO Max on the screen and press that asterisk button.
- Press Manage Membership and then cancel subscription.
These were the complete steps to get HBO Max on Roku in Canada. By following this detailed guide, you will be able to stream all your favorite HBO Max shows and movies on the Roku device instantly. Ensure to opt for the best and premium VPN like ExpressVPN to trespass the geo-restricted website, HBO Max, without an issue.
Leave a Reply