Did you just happen to stumble upon our guide of how to get Hulu on Roku in Canada? Or did you actually need our help in getting Hulu on Roku in Canada?
More importantly, why do you need to get Hulu on Roku? Isn’t Roku a digital media player designed specifically for streaming content from online OTT platforms?
Then why isn’t it supporting Hulu in the first place? All these questions will be answered as you continue reading the article.
What is stopping you from Watching Hulu on Roku in Canada?
The simplest answer would be Hulu’s unavailability in Canada due to content distribution laws and geo-restriction. Never heard of it? Let us explain.
Even though Hulu has been a streaming giant for the last 15 years, it’s content cannot be viewed anywhere except for the US.
The reason behind this is that Hulu doesn’t have the streaming rights to show it’s content anywhere else around the world.
So if you try to login to your Hulu account from Roku in Canada, your Canadian IP addresses will not be able to stream the content and will not be available for you.
Another Way to Get Hulu on Roku in Canada?
Yes, this is exactly what this article is about. To help Roku users easily access Hulu in Canada. So just smile and scroll boys, smile and scroll.
The only way you can bypass the geo-restriction from Hulu is by using a premium VPN. We highly recommend ExpressVPN because it’s one of the few VPNs that
- Supported by Roku
- Works seamlessly in unblocking and streaming Hulu
- Comes with so many features like more than 90+ US servers, HD and buffer free streaming on internet speeds as low as 3 Mbps, round the clock support etc
Other VPNs may not be able to do all of these things simultaneously and may lack in one way or another.
How to setup ExpressVPN for Hulu on Roku in Canada
First things first, you need to set up an ExpressVPN connection for your Roku. You can do this by either of 3 ways:
- Using ExpressVPN app for specific VPN routers.
- ExpressVPN manual configuration for routers.
- Setup virtual VPN router.
But before anything else, you need to activate your ExpressVPN subscription, which you can do in 4 easy steps:
- Go to the ExpressVPN website.
- Create an account.
- Select the subscription that suits you best.
- Pay using easy payment methods and enjoy restriction free streaming.
Using ExpressVPN App for VPN Routers
If you are going with this, it is very important to note that for this option you need a router that is
VPN compatible, like Asus, Netgear or Linksys
For any of the 3 router options you need to follow the given steps:
- Download ExpressVPN firmware that is compatible with your router model.
- Switch on your router.
- Proceed to install the firmware that you downloaded in the first step.
- Connect your router to the internet.
- When the installation is completed, you will be taken to the ExpressVPN router dashboard where you can finish the set up.
Your router has now successfully connected to ExpressVPN, meaning your internet connection is secure on all your devices connected to your router, now you can easily connect your Roku device to the internet and get Hulu on Roku in Canada.
Using ExpressVPN manual configuration for routers
For this option to work you need to make sure that your router is compatible with ExpressVPN
manual configuration. The routers that support this option are stated below:
- Google Wifi
The steps are simple and easy to follow:
- Download ExpressVPN configuration files
- Manually configure your router by filling in details
Using Virtual ExpressVPN Router
One thing to note about this option is that it requires technical knowledge and may not be suitable for everyone.
Virtual VPN router can be set on Windows using the following steps:
- Launch your PC and turn on your Mobile hotspot via Internet Settings.
- Tap on “Share my internet connection” and select Wi-Fi.
- Create new Network credentials.
- Visit “Related Settings” and select “Change adapter options.”
- Enter your new credentials.
- Click on “ExpressVPN Tap Adapter” and visit properties.
- Select the option for sharing the connection with others.
- Select your new credentials and press ok.
- On your mobile device, visit ExpressVPN and connect to a US server.
- Create a connection between your Roku device and hotspot.
- Search for Hulu and install it.
- Now sign up for Hulu in Canada if you haven’t already.
- Launch Hulu on Roku in Canada and start streaming!
Setting up Roku account and Roku device
An important thing to make sure is that your Roku account should have the same location as your router (or your virtual router).
That is, for streaming Hulu on Roku in Canada you need to set your router (or your virtual router) location as US; therefore your Roku account location should also be set to US.
You have setup your VPN router (or your virtual VPN router) by following the steps above.
The only thing left to do now is to connect your Roku account to your VPN router (or your virtual VPN router).
For that you need to follow the given steps:
- You will be asked to create a Roku account for your Roku device.
- If you already have a Roku account and the account location is same as that of your VPN or virtual VPN router i.e. US then follows the set up instructions.
- When asked to connect to WiFi, select VPN router (or your virtual VPN router) and follow the rest of the steps.
- If you already have a Roku account but with a different location then factory reset your account by going to Settings > System > Advanced system settings And change to location to US.
- You can also create a new account with a location set to the US.
- Once the Roku account is set up, go to the ExpressVPN option and connect to the server location of VPN. Make sure it is the same as the location of your Roku account and VPN or virtual VPN router.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the set up.
- You can now stream your favourite Hulu movies and shows seamlessly.
Will Hulu be available in Canada?
It’s been so long, but there are no signs of Hulu’s availability in Canada. Hulu is strictly a US-based service, and the only way to get Hulu in Canada is via ExpressVPN.
How can I get Hulu on Roku Express?
The steps stated above have been tested and are valid for Roku Express and other Roku devices. You will require a virtual VPN setup on your PC to enable the secure streaming and availability of Hulu in Canada.
Do VPNs give full access to Hulu in Canada?
Yes, the VPNs will give you full access to Hulu library, along with all the additional services like Hulu TV live, subscription to additional platforms and add-ons too.